Ben,

"Strength"? If you mean weight or confidence, this is not so. As Pei
corrected, it is the *frequency* that depends on only one of the two.
The strength depends on both.

And, that is one feature of NARS that I don't find strange. It can be
explained OK by the formula I previously proposed and now abandoned.
To re-use the same metaphor I referred to before, it is as if we are
trying to estimate the weight of heads and tails for a quarter when we
have only partial knowledge of a series of coin flips, and partial
knowledge telling us whether or not that series of flips is actually
the quarter we are interested in. The 2 types of knowledge there are
exactly like the 2 premises: we only want the frequency to depend on
the first type of evidence, but the confidence of that frequency also
depends on the 2nd type of evidence.

To respond more generally to the comments...

The criticism is certainly valid; I am not so worried about semantics,
only about making the manipulations fit. The decision to go with
likelihoods is an exception to this, but that is because I doubt that
the manipulations would be easy to fit together with no resemblance in
semantics...

If I were taking more the approach Ben suggests, that is, making
reasonable-sounding assumptions and then working forward rather than
assuming NARS and working backward, I would have kept the formula from
last time (justifying it with the argument mentioned above). Probably
this results in a system with many similarities to NARS but differing
in the exact formulas, and in the absence of the constant 'k'.

--Abram