Colin:

others such as Hynna and Boahen at Stanford, who have an unusual hardware
neural architecture...(Hynna, K. M. and Boahen, K. 'Thermodynamically
equivalent silicon models of voltage-dependent ion channels', Neural
Computation vol. 19, no. 2, 2007. 327-350.) ...and others ... then things will
be diverse and authoritative. In particular, those who have recently
essentially squashed the computational theories of mind from a neuroscience
perspective- the 'integrative neuroscientists':

Poznanski, R. R., Biophysical neural networks : foundations of integrative
neuroscience, Mary Ann Liebert, Larchmont, NY, 2001, pp. viii, 503 p.

Pomerantz, J. R., Topics in integrative neuroscience : from cells to cognition,
Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK ; New York, 2008, pp. xix, 427 p.

Gordon, E., Ed. (2000). Integrative neuroscience : bringing together
biological, psychological and clinical models of the human brain. Amsterdam,
Harwood

Colin,

This all looks v. interesting - googling quickly. The general integrative
approach to the brain's functioning is clearly v. important.

*Distinctive Paradigms/Approaches. But are any distinctive models or more
specific paradigms emerging? It isn't immediately clear why AGI has to pay
special attention here. Can you do a bit more selling of the importance of this
field.

*Models - I notice some researchers are developing models of the brain's
functioning. Are any worthwhile? I called here sometime ago for a Systems
Psychology and Systems AI, that would be devoted to developing overall models
both of the intelligent brain and of AGI systems. Existing AGI systems like
Ben's offer de facto models of what is required for an intelligent mind. So it
would be v. valuable to be able to compare different models, both natural and
artificial.

*Embodied Cognitive Science.  How do you see int. neurosci. in relation to
this? For example, I noted some purely neuronal models of the self. For me,
only integrated brain-body models of the self are valid.

*Free Will. An interest of mine. I noted some reference that suggested a
neuroscientific attempt to explain this (or perhaps explain it away). Know any
more about this?