Hi Richard,

Thanks for the link, pretty intriguing. It's important to note that the
mechanism proposed is just a switch that turns specific genes off... so
properly understood, it's likely that the resolution required to model this
mechanism would not necessarily require modeling the entire DNA strand. It
seems more likely that these methylation caps are being applied to very
specific genes that produce proteins heavily implicated in the dynamics of
synapse creation/destruction (or some other process related to memory).  So
modeling the phenomenon could very possibly be done functionally.

Memories could only be passed to the child if 1) those DNA changes were also
made in the germ cells (i.e. egg/sperm) and 2) the DNA changes involved
resulted in a brain organization in the child that mimicked the parent's brain.
 (1) is very unlikely but theoretically possible; (2) is impossible for two
reasons. One is, the methylation patterns proposed involve a large number of
neurons, converging on a pattern of methylation; in contrast, a germ cell would
only capture the methylation of a single cell (which would then be cloned in
the developing fetus). Second, the hypothesized methylation patterns represent
a different medium of information storage in the mature brain than what is
normally considered to be the role of DNA in the developing brain. It would
truly be a huge leap to suggest that the information stored via this alteration
of DNA would result in that information being preserved somehow in a developing
brain.

There are plenty of other epigenetic phenomena to get Lamarck fans excited, but
this isn't one of them.

Terren