Ed, you seem to be taking the "memory as synaptic weight modification"
model a bit too seriously ... it's really just a simplified formal
model that captures a certain percentage of what goes on in the brain
(and no one knows how much)

This is why I shy away from brain-modeling approaches to AGI ... we
just don't know how the brain works yet...

ben g

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Ed Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don' really see how a change in gene expression in the nucleus of a neuron
> caused by methylation could store long term memories, since most neural
> network models store all most all their information in the location and
> differentiation of they synapses.
>
> How is information in a neural net stored by making what would appear to be
> only neuron-wide behaviors?  Such a global change might be valuable for
> signally that a record of recent events in the neuron at a give brief period
> of time, should be stored, but it would not appear to actually keep them
> stored over a long period of time.
>
> I think the article failed to mention an important part of the theory of
> what is going on.
>
> Ed Porter

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
-- Groucho Marx