Yes.

Ed etc., what comes to mind is Eugene Ishikevich (sp?) 's nonlinear
dynamics models of fast and slow dynamics in neurons, which are based
on ion channel models similar to (but more sophisticated in some cases
than) the classic Hodgkin-Huxley equations

Potentially the gene switching under discussion could affect some of
the parameters in Ishikevich's equations, thus modifying the behavior
of neurons.

In Ishikevich's equations, classic LTP would take the form of
modifying certain of the equational parameters, whereas this gene
switching could take the form of modifying others.

Note, I'm not selling Ishikevich's stuff as a final and correct model
of neurodynamics -- just pointing it out as one interesting brain
model that potentially would explain how these gene switches could
conceivable affect learning via affecting holistic brain dynamics ...
attractors and all that fun stuff...

-- Ben G

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Terren Suydam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think the key is to see the gene switching not as an information store per
> se but as part of a larger dynamic process (which might be similar in
> principle to simulated annealing), in which the contributions of whole
> neurons (e.g., the outputs) are switched in some way meaningful to the
> dynamic.
>
> --- On Wed, 12/3/08, Ed Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Ben,
>

> I basically agree.
>

> There many things going in the human brain.  There are all the different
> neuro- chemicals, receptors, and blockers, some of which are not only
> effective across individual synapses, but often across broader distances.
> There is the fact that neuron branches can apparently grow in directions
> guided by chemical gradients.  There are synchronies and brain waves, and
> the way in which they might spatially encode or decode information.  And so
> on.
>

> So I admit the brain is much more complicated than most neural net models.
>

> But I have not seen any explanation of how changes in gene expression in a
> neuron's nucleus would store memories, even given the knowledge that the
> epigenome can store information.
>

> If there is such an explanation, either now or in the future, I would
> welcome hearing it.
>

> Ed Porter

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
-- Groucho Marx