--- On Thu, 12/11/08, Eric Burton <brila...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know how you derived the value 10^4, Matt, but that seems
> reasonable to me. Terren, let me go back to the article and try to
> understand what exactly it says is happening. Certainly that's my
> editorial's crux

A simulation of a neural network with 10^15 synapses requires 10^15 operations
to update the activation levels of the neurons. If we assume 100 ms resolution,
that is 10^16 operations per second.

If memory is stored in neurons rather than synapses, as suggested in the
original paper (see http://www.cell.com/neuron/retrieve/pii/S0896627307001420 )
then the brain has a memory capacity of at most 10^11 bits, which could be
simulated by a neural network with 10^11 connections (or 10^12 operations per
second).

This assumes that (1) the networks are equivalent and (2) that there isn't any
secondary storage in synapses in addition to neurons. The program I posted last
week was intended to show (1). However (2) has not been shown. The fact that
DNA methylation occurs in the cortex does not exclude the possibility of more
than one memory mechanism. As a counter argument, the cortex has about 10^4
times as much storage as the hippocampus (10^4 days vs. 1 day), but is not 10^4
times larger.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmaho...@yahoo.com