Eric Burton wrote:
It's all a big vindication for genetic memory, that's for certain. I
was comfortable with the notion of certain templates, archetypes,
being handed down as aspects of brain design via natural selection,
but this really clears the way for organisms' life experiences to
simply be copied in some form to their offspring. DNA form!

It is scary to imagine memes scribbling on your genome in this way.
Food for thought! :O

Well, no: that was not the conclusion that we came to during this thread.

I think we all agreed that although we could imagine ways in which some acquired information could be passed on through the DNA, the *current* evidence does not indicate that large scale transfer of memories is happening.

In effect, the recent discoveries might conceivably allow nature to hand over to the next generation a 3.5 inch floppy disk (remember those?) with some data on it, whereas the implication in what you just said was that this floppy disk could be used to transfer the contents of the Googleplex :-). Not so fast, I say.

Richard Loosemore