On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Ben Goertzel wrote:

> IMHO, Mike Tintner is not often rude, and is not exactly a "troll" because I
> feel he is genuinely trying to understand the deeper issues related to AGI,
> rather than mainly trying to stir up trouble or cause irritation
>
> However, I find conversing with him generally frustrating because he
> combines
> A)
> extremely strong intuitive opinions about AGI topics
> with
> B)
> almost utter ignorance of the details of AGI (or standard AI), or the
> background knowledge needed to appreciate these details when compactly
> communicated
>
> This means that discussions with Mike never seem to get anywhere... and,
> frankly, I usually regret getting into them

In my opinion you are being too generous and your generosity is being
taken advantage of.
As well as trying to be nice to Mike, you have to bear list quality in
mind and decide whether his ramblings are of some benefit to all the
other list members.

There are many types of trolls; some can be quite sophisticated.
See: <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1032102>
The definitive guide to Trolls

A classic troll tries to make us believe that he is a skeptic. He is
divisive and argumentative with need-to-be-right attitude, "searching
for the truth", flaming discussion, and sometimes insulting people or
provoking people to insult him. A troll is usually an expert in
reusing the same words of its opponents and in turning it against
them.

The Contrarian Troll. A sophisticated breed, Contrarian Trolls
frequent boards whose predominant opinions are contrary to their own.
A forum dominated by those who support firearms and knife rights, for
example, will invariably be visited by Contrarian Trolls espousing
their beliefs in the benefits of gun control.

BillK