And when a Chinese doesn't answer a question, it usually means "No" ;-)

Relatedly, I am discussing with some US gov't people a potential project
involving customizing an AI reasoning system to emulate the different
inferential judgments of people from different cultures...

ben

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Richard Loosemore <r...@lightlink.com>wrote:

> Ben Goertzel wrote:
>

>> yeah ... that's not a matter of the English language but rather a matter
>> of the American Way ;-p
>>
>> Through working with many non-Americans I have noted that what Americans
>> often intend as a "playful obnoxiousness" is interpreted by non-Americans
>> more seriously...
>>

> Except that, in fact, Mike is not American but British.
>
> As a result of long experience talking to Americans, I have discovered that
> what British people intend as routine discussion, Americans interpret as
> serious, intentional obnoxiousness.  And then, what Americans (as you say)
> intend as playful obnoxiousness, non-Americans interpret more seriously.
>

> Richard Loosemore
>

> I think we had some mutual colleagues in the past who favored such a style
>> of discourse ;-)
>>
>> ben
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Pei Wang <mail.peiw...@gmail.com<mailto:
>> mail.peiw...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Ben Goertzel <b...@goertzel.org
>>    <mailto:b...@goertzel.org>> wrote:
>>     >
>>     > IMHO, Mike Tintner is not often rude, and is not exactly a
>>    "troll" because I
>>     > feel he is genuinely trying to understand the deeper issues
>>    related to AGI,
>>     > rather than mainly trying to stir up trouble or cause irritation
>>
>>    Well, I guess my English is not good enough to tell the subtle
>>    difference in tones, but his comments often sound that "You AGIers are
>>    so obviously wrong that I don't even bother to understand what you are
>>    saying ... Now let me tell you ...".
>>
>>    I don't enjoy this tone.
>>
>>    Pei

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
b...@goertzel.org

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
-- Groucho Marx