Steve:How about an international ban on the deployment of all unmanned and
automated weapons?

You might as well ask for a ban on war (or, perhaps, aggression). I strongly
recommend reading the SciAm July 2010 issue on robotic warfare. The US already
operates from memory somewhere between 13,000 and 20,000 unmanned weapons.
"Unmanned war" (obviously with some but ever less human supervision)  IS the
future of war.

If you used a little lateral thinking, you'd realise that this may well be a
v.g. thing - let robots kill each other rather than humans - whoever's robots
win, wins the war. It would be interesting to compare Afghan./Vietnam - I
imagine the kill count is considerably down (but correct me) - *because* of
superior, more automated technology.