Matt,

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Matt Mahoney <matmaho...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Steve Richfield wrote:
> > How about an international ban on the deployment of all unmanned and
> automated weapons?
>
> How about a ban on suicide bombers to level the playing field?

Of course we already have that. Unfortunately, one begets the other. Hence,
we seem to have a choice, neither or both. I vote for neither.

> > 1984 has truly arrived.
>
> No it hasn't. People want public surveillance.

I'm not sure what you mean by "public" surveillance. Monitoring private
phone calls? Monitoring otherwise unused web cams? Monitoring your output
when you use the toilet? Where, if anywhere, do YOU draw the line?

> It is also necessary for AGI. In order for machines to do what you want,
> they have to know what you know.

Unfortunately, knowing everything, any use of this information will either
be to my benefit, or my detriment. Do you foresee any way to limit use to
only beneficial use?

BTW, decades ago I developed the plan of, when my kids got in some sort of
trouble in school or elsewhere, to represent their interests as well as
possible, regardless of whether I agreed with them or not. This worked
EXTREMELY well for me, and for several other families who have tried this.
The point is that to successfully represent their interests, I had to know
what was happening. Potential embarrassment and explainability limited the
kids' actions. I wonder if the same would work for AGIs?

> In order for a global brain to use that knowledge, it has to be public.

Again, where do you draw the line between public and private?

> AGI has to be a global brain because it is too expensive to build any other
> way, and because it would be too dangerous if the whole world didn't control
> it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "control".

Here is the BIG question in my own mind, that I have asked in various ways,
so far without any recognizable answer:

There are plainly lots of things wrong with our society. We got here by
doing what we wanted, and by having our representatives do what we wanted
them to do. Clearly some social re-engineering is in our future, if we are
to thrive in the foreseeable future. All changes are resisted by some, and I
suspect that some needed changes will be resisted by most, and perhaps
nearly everyone. Disaster scenarios aside, what would YOU have YOUR AGI do
to navigate this future?

To help guide your answer, I see that the various proposed systems of
"ethics" would prevent breaking the eggs needed to make a good futuristic
omelet. I suspect that completely democratic systems have run their course.
Against this is "letting AGI loose" has its own unfathomable hazards. I've
been hanging around here for quite a while, and I don't yet see any "success
path" to work toward.

I'm on your side in that any successful AGI would have to have the
information and the POWER to succeed, akin to *Colossus, the Forbin Project*,
which I personally see as more of a success story than a horror scenario.
Absent that, AGIs will only add to our present problems.

What is the "success path" that you see?

Steve