Mike,

Quoting a previous email:

QUOTE

In fact, the "chair" patterns you refer to are not strictly physical
patterns. The pattern is based on how the objects can be used, what their
intended uses probably are, and what most common effective uses are.

So, chairs are objects that are used to sit on. You can identify objects
whose most likely use is for sitting based on experience.

END QUOTE

Even refrigerators can be chairs. If a fridge is in the woods and you're out
there camping, you can sit on it. I could say "sit on that fridge couch over
there". The fact that multiple people can sit on it, makes it possible to
call it a couch.

But, it's odd to call it a chair, because it's a fridge. So, when the object
has a more "common effective use", as I stated above, it is usually referred
to by that use. If something is most likely used for sitting by a single
person, then it is a chair. If its most common best use is something else,
like cooling food, you would call it a fridge.

So, maybe the pattern would be, if it has some features like a chair, like
possible arm rests, a soft bottom, cushions, legs, a back rest, etc. and you
can't see it being used as anything else, then maybe it's a chair. If
someone sits on it, it certainly is a chair, if you find it by searching for
chairs, its likely a chair. etc.

You see, chairs are not simply recognized by their physical structure. There
are multiple ways you can recognize it and it is certainly important to know
that it doesn't seem useful for another task.

The idea that chairs cannot be recognized because they come in all shapes,
sizes and structures is just wrong.

Dave