Hi Dan

Thank you for your stimulating reply.
I'm aware (and obsessed by it!), we talked about this in some past emails, of the indetermination principle behind the concept of trend/residuals decomposition and this time my question is really basic (and maybe stupid!).

Well, I'm working on topographic data and I need to analyze
their roughness and in general their short range spatial variability, so I need to remove the effect of long range fluctuations. In this case, as I said, I'm lucky because of I know what I want to filter out. I tried different methods like local polynomials and averaging with moving windows. Giving a look to the resulting trend surfaces I see, qualitatively, that also with moving averages I obtain "good" results and these will improve further if instead of doing simple moving window means I use a simple kernel, like the one cited in the paper (that practically means that, in my trend estimation, for a certain distance around the center of the window I give the same weight to all samples and beyond this distance the weight decay). Having seen this (that, as I said, it is not a big new!) my question is: which kernel?

But your reply on this open an important point when working with topographic data.
How to evaluate the quality of the derived trend surface?
And above all, how can be evaluated the expert qualitative
judgement coming from the observation of reality or better of the true "realization" (that for many other spatial parameters is not
available)?

Sorry for the too long mail

Sebastiano