On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 11:15:34PM +0200, Tomek Cedro wrote:
> I've resigned to use linux box as a D-class amplifier.
> I've diecided to make standalone device.
> Why? The biggest problem is that serial/parallel port's max. output
> frequency is 370kHz... It could be usefull, but I don't want to make my life
> harder - as I often like to do ;)

Good decision, this is really best done in hardware.

> I'm planning to use MAXIM's signal generator or motorola fast microcontroller,
> maybe dallas 80Cxxx or atmel's AT90Sxxx.

Try a 1MHz sawtooth generator and a comparator. You can't get any
simpler.

> Day by day I'm thinking about "great" Intel's microprocessors efficiency...
> and I'm really considering switchng to MOTOROLA for good :)

You don't understand. This has nothing to do with Intel CPU efficiency
or Intel vs. Motorola, this is a fundamental problem.

You just can't get a stable software generated high frequency signal
from a system that uses a general purpose operating system. There are
just too many tasks in the system that need the CPU as well. You either
need a single tasking operating system, or a real-time operating
system.

Even if you have a single tasking OS or a real-time OS, it can still be
hard to get a stable software generated high frequency signal if the
system uses a PCI architecture with multiple devices. If one such
device does a DMA burst over the bus, your CPU won't be able to use the
bus and you'll get quite some jitter in the high frequency signal.

> I don't want to piss off anyoune, but I think that those guys who tols me so
> many bad things abut ->->>GNU<<-<- assembler,

Please reread our messages. Nobody said a bad thing about the GNU
assembler.

> should read assembly-howto...

I did. Sections 2 (Do you need assembly?) is very helpful. Reread it
and you'll find all the arguments used over here.

> I was not talking abut ->NASM<-. Never mind... peace! ATARI RULZ! :]
>
> Once again thanks for all help and sugestions!
> I'll call You when device ready...

Yes, please do. I'm pretty much interested if this class D amplifier
will work. I've been thinking about doing such an amplifier myself, but
never got so much as building one.

Erik
[who studied electrical engineering but got typical computer science
 jobs until now]

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]