> >> i don't know. i am not sure why you are so averse to having the user
> >> use their keyboard. you can put "default" in the keybd entry to start
> >
> >If, for example, this is a settop box like interface the user is not
> >supposed to use the keyboard.
>
> if the user is not supposed to use a keyboard, i think it can be taken
> for granted that "default" will work just fine :)

I think that it's nonsense to force average users to study the
alsa driver architecture and learn a format of the configuration
file (they just don't know about the existence of such file) to
perform such trivial task as to point the right sound card to
be used! I can't find any good reason why to make my application
such user non-friendly! Maybe there could be a addidional line
edit where advanced users can enter their 'special' pcm device,
but in general, the combo box for sound card and spin box for
subdevice should be much more effecient and appreciated.

...I know how to find out the number of cards installed and number of
subdevices for each of them: 'aplay -l' just do the trick, so
I've looked at sources ;-) but...
Is my assumption correct that in statement 'plughw:X,Y'
X - means the number of REAL sound card to be used and
Y - means the number od correspoding subdevice number of selected card?

jozef