>As I don't own a Hammerfall card I'd like to know, how windows presents
>your hammerfall hardware? How do you use the features of the Hammerfall
>with Windows. It's certainly possible somehow to do multitrack recording
>with windows, isn't it? They probably live of windows user, not of linux
>sound hackers..

the WDM drivers (used to) present it as a series of stereo
devices, which actually didn't work perfectly at some point in time
because they are all running in sync and cannot be stopped and started
independently. this caused some apps to fail to work correctly.

windows differs dramatically from linux in that most device drivers
come come with a device specific control panel. so most of the control
of the hammerfall under windows is not done by apps, but by this
control panel.

the stable, actually functional multitrack recording systems under
windows tend to use ASIO drivers, which present a model more like the
ALSA "hw" layer in terms of the channel configuration, but which
enforce a sort of callback style model in the application (think
"poll(2)").

--p