>I think that it's nonsense to force average users to study the
>alsa driver architecture and learn a format of the configuration
>file (they just don't know about the existence of such file) to

"average" users have 1 sound card. "default" will work for them.

>perform such trivial task as to point the right sound card to
>be used!

"trivial"? clearly, you are working entirely in a world filled with
consumer-style devices and consumer-style applications. in such a
situation, perhaps, just perhaps, "pointing to the right sound card"
is "trivial". but in general, this is not a trivial task. does the
user want to share access to the soundcard with other application?
does the user want to use *part* of an existing multichannel card for
your application? does the user want to use a soundcard whose sample
rate is controlled by an external device, and cannot be set by the
application? and so on and so forth ... you cannot infer what the
possible PCM devices are in general from looking at the installed
hardware.

there will be other programmers who will write good, simple
configuration tools to create and edit ~/.asoundrc. why are you trying
to sidestep their work by using a hack like "plughw:N,0" ?

--p