I think the documentation library used to mention the usage of dmix, but since the
last update, I can't find it anymore (normally :
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/pcm_plugins.html)

The code mentions :
This plugin provides direct mixing of multiple streams. The resolution
for 32-bit mixing is only 24-bit. The low significant byte is filled with
zeros. The extra 8 bits are used for the saturation.

pcm.name {
type dmix# Direct mix
ipc_key INT# unique IPC key
ipc_key_add_uid BOOL# add current uid to unique IPC key
slave STR
# or
slave {# Slave definition
pcm STR# slave PCM name
# or
pcm { }# slave PCM definition
format STR# format definition
rate INT# rate definition
channels INT
period_time INT# in usec
# or
period_size INT# in bytes
buffer_time INT# in usec
# or
buffer_size INT # in bytes
periods INT# when buffer_size or buffer_time is not specified
}
bindings {# note: this is client independent!!!
N INT# maps slave channel to client channel N
}
}

I wonder how you know that the number you assign is not in use...

IPC stands for Inter-Process communication. I've never used it though...

Look at
http://users.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg/tutorials/multi-process/multi-process.html for
more info

Cheers,