On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:02:06 +0100,
> Kristof Pelckmans wrote:
> >
> > I wonder how you know that the number you assign is not in use...
>
> well, there is no guarantee for that.
>
> i think it would be more understandable to have the string type ipc
> key, such as
>
> pcm.dmix {
>       type dmix
>       ipc_key_str /usr/alsa/foo
> }
>
> which generates an ipc key via ftok().

That's a question. This is a quote from the ftok() man page:

"Of course no guarantee can be given that the resulting key_t is unique."

I think that the best solution is to create a communication file with
information about used unique IPC key and add a verification that used
IPC semaphores and IPC areas are ours.

Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project, SuSE Labs