At Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:46:04 +0100,
I wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as you might have already seen on the web news page, we released
> 1.0.0pre1 tarball.  This is intended for the wide tests before the
> official 1.0.0 release.  We planned to release 1.0.0 (hopefully) in
> this month, so please everyone test this version and give bug reports
> now.
>
> Especially, if you have a card or a mobo with ICH (or compatible)
> chip and *multiple* AC97 codecs, testing this version is appreciated.
> Please give (also positive) feedback whether it works.  The handling
> of multiple codecs was changed recently, but not tested well because
> of lack of hardware.
>

> Important changes / fixes since 0.9.8

A couple of more important thing I forgot to mention about ALSA
library update:

- the default PCM API is in the new style.

  If your app still uses the PCM API in the old style (i.e. without
  defining ALSA_PCM_OLD_HW_PARAM_API), the compilation with the new
  library may fail.  In such a case, fix the API call with the new
  style, or simply add

        #define ALSA_PCM_OLD_HW_PARAMS_API
        #define ALSA_PCM_OLD_SW_PARAMS_API

  before inclusion of <alsa/asoundlib.h>.  See alsa-lib/NOTES for
  details.

  The binary compatibility is kept with the new alsa-lib, so the
  programs will run as well even after installing the new alsa-lib.

- SND_LIB_MAJOR is jumped to 1, and SND_LIB_MINOR is 0.

  If your application checks the ALSA version with only SND_LIB_MINOR
  macro, you'll need to fix it.

--
Takashi Iwai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                ALSA Developer - www.alsa-project.org