At Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:30:32 -0800 (PST),
Dave Neuer wrote:

> --- Takashi Iwai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > - PCM OSS emulation might cause oops when you
> > compile the kernel
> >   without frame pointer (depending on the compiler).
>
> Hi,
>
> As a Gentoo user whose make.conf includes
> -fomit-frame-pointer (gcc 3.3.2), I'd love it if you
> could elaborate on that a little bit:
>
> a) is this code also in the mainline kernel
> (test9-bk*)?

yes.

> b) any idea what would be required to fix it to allow
> no frame pointer?

i'm not sure which gcc version causes.  at least, i can *not*
reproduce this on my system (gcc-3.3.1).

a workaround is to add a local CFLAGS for rate.c in Makefile.
it's included in alsa-driver's Makefile, but not put in alsa-kernel,
i.e. the tree to be merged to the main 2.6.0 tree.

> I just started experiencing oopsen yesterday after
> installing -test9-bk24, using the older libs/utils
> (0.98, I think). But I also put new hardware in (IEEE
> 1394 card) and added USB mouse support. I'm seeing
> weird things on my earlier kernel version, too so it
> could certainly be unrelated...

this bug hits only in the sample rate conversion of OSS emulation, so
it doesn't occur in most cases.
the typical case is via82xx driver without specifying dxs_support
option, or some mobo with a cheap ac97 codec supporting only 48kHz.
when you play mp3 on such a machine over OSS API, the sample rate is
converted from 44.1 to 48khz.