Am Montag 29 März 2004 13:34 schrieb Rui Nuno Capela:

> My first question goes whether us428control's not recognizing any USx2y
> hardware dependant stuff (hwdep) either on hw:0 or hw:1. I'm almost sure
> that it should be on hw:1 as the US-224 is configured as my second
> soundcard under the ALSA configuration (i.e. alias snd-usb-usx2y
> snd-card-1). But us428control does not find anything, at least after the
> firmware gets loaded.
I only have a us428 here, so I assume us224 behaves the same.

could it be it is already running (started by hotpug scripts which were
installed with alsa)?
Did you try "ps -aux|grep us428control" ?
        aconnect -li gave you among others
         client 129: 'US-428' [type=user]
             0 'Controls        '
this usually is due to us428controls activity.

> Strange enough, to me at least, us428control seems to work between the fw
> and fpga loading steps. Using lsusb, I've noticed that the USB ids do
> change from 1604:8004 to 1604:8005 while plugging in. Guess that's normal,
> and it marks the momemt when fw is loaded and fpga is about to.
>
> The second one is about the LEDs on the control surface: besides the USB
> light, isn't that supposed to light up anything else? Everything else is
> dead dark. Touching the knobs, pushing the buttons or whatever doesn't
> make any visible difference. Is that supposed to be normal?
if us428control is running ok (AND fits the us224), INPUT MONITOR Led is
functional.
Also if INPUT MONITOR Led is ON, SELECT and MUTE Leds work.

> OK. I've tested on two different systems, a Compaq laptop w/Mandrake 10.0
> (P4 2.533GHz, OHCI) and on a custom desktop w/SUSE 9.0 (P4 3.333GHz
> SMP/HT, UHCI). On both, the firmware seems to get loaded and only visible
> thing to note is that the USB light gets lit.
>
> The only thing that i could get to work is the MIDI interface. AFAICT all
> faders, buttons and the jog wheel do send MIDI control events, and I could
> intercept those on the ALSA sequencer interface. MIDI seems pretty
> functional then. I could also test the external raw MIDI interface, by
> sending out some notes and it seems to work too.
faders, buttons and the jog wheel do send MIDI control events are made by
us428control.

> It's the PCM audio part that gets me worried. ALSA reports both capture
> and playback PCM interfaces. But on all my tests I could only ear silence.
> Not a sound. Dead silence only. Although it all seems to be OK, at least
> as reported by ALSA.
us428 MASTER Slider behaves funny here:
if it is set to MAXIMUM at Firmware BootUp, it tells us428control that it is
ZEROed!
To hear audio here I have to set MASTER Fader below MAX first.
Later I can put it to MAX and it behaves as expected.

> Quite traditionally this symptom is due to initially default muted mixer
> channels, but running `alsamixer -c1` reports that there's no mixer elems.
> So how can I unmute this beast?

Hope the above helps. Mixer support isn't yet written, sorry.

To see if capturing works:
can you record a file and it looks like expected in an audio editor?

(UHCI worked more often than OHCI, but also UHCI can be tricky:
on a via mobo one connector does it, but the other not !?!)

Cheers,
Karsten