Dear Diego,

please just send plain text messages to mailing lists [1].

Am Samstag, den 25.06.2011, 20:48 -0300 schrieb Diego Jacobi:

[…]

> OpenSUSE 11.4 installed about 2 Months ago.

Did it work before with another GNU/Linux distribution?

> ASUS laptop n51tp
> Athlon X2
> ATI Mobility™ Radeon® HD 4650
> Audio System
> Built-in Azalia compliant audio chip, with 3D effect & full duplex
> Built-in speaker and microphone
> Support Audio Jack Detect for Vista Basic Logo
> Support Audio CODEC criteria for Vista Premium Logo
>
> AUDIO WORKS with the 2 problems listed below.
>
> ABSTRACT:
> - Internal and external speaker both loud at the same time.
> - MIC gets broke and an alsa restart is required.
>
> PROBLEM 1:
> If i start the laptop with no external headsets or speaker connected in
> front panel. Audio goes through internal speakers.

This is a common problem and most of the times passing the correct
`model` parameter is enough [2].

[…]

> IF i start the laptop with the headsets pluged in. The internal speakers
> will not work at all. Always in mute. Both the externals will work.
> To use internals again i have to reset alsa with "rcalsasound restart" with
> nothing plugged in.

Please also attach the output of `alsa-info.sh` [3] when your system is
in that state.

> PROBLEM 2:
> MIC works.
> Internal MIC sucks. Nobody can ear me though skype.
> External MIC works fine sometimes.
>
> If i start the laptop with the MIC plugged in. It works. No problem.
> If i start the laptop with the NO MIC plugged in. It doesnt works. I have to
> restart alsa.
> If i do work with the laptop using different multimedia sources, it brokes.
> Most of the time i get called by skype and the MIC is not working anymore.
> Then i have to close all programs, restart alsa and open skype again to be
> able to talk.
> Thats the main reason to post here.

Please attach the output of `alsa-info.sh` from each state (working,
non-working, broken and so on).

What version of Skype are you using and how did you install it.

> In the gnome's Audio-preferences dialog, the input tab, the level-bars :
> - show as ghosts when it doesnt work.
> - shows green changing, when it does works.
> - shows as ghosts if no program is using the mic and changes to green if i
> start the recorder.
>
> Restarting alsa requires closing Opera, Firefox, Skype, Emesene, Banshee,
> etc. to work or some of them will broke the MIC again. It also requires root
> privileges.
>
> A broken headset also causes this behavior when i plugg it, and then MIC
> stops working until a reset.

What does “broken headset” mean?

> MY GUESS about the problems:
> as almost electronic engineer.
>
> FOR PROBLEM 1:
> The driver requires to detect check for high impedance at the front panel
> and mute the internal ones, and/or provide a way to mute them separately.
>
> FOR PROBLEM 2:
> A short-circuit problem may be happening in my front panel, and under some
> circumstances, like moving the cables, it causes some chipset failure over
> the MIC controller. The driver is not handling this error and it stays
> crashed until a reset.
> However, it doesnt explains why seeing a video in flashplayer in opera may
> cause this too.
> And it didnt happened on windows, but i dont have it anymore installed.
>
> Also, i dont understand why AMD+ATI laptop uses Intel hda drivers. But i
> guess it has to do with ALC663 specs.

I think it has to do with HDA spec.

> I will appreciate any help, and thanks to everyone reading this not-short
> post.

Thank you for taking the time posting this question in such a detail. I
am pretty sure your problems can be fixed.

Please subscribe to the list alsa-devel [4] and post your problem there
uploading *and* attaching the output of `alsa-info.sh` [3] when the
system is in the different states. Most developers are just reading
`alsa-devel`. Please add the maintainer’s email address (Takashi Iwai
[5]) to CC, since he is working for openSUSE(?) as far as I know and
therefore will hopefully look into your problem very quickly.

You could have also submitted a report to the openSUSE bug tracker. Only
do that if you do not get any response in due time.

[…]

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Mailing_list_netiquette