Rutger,

>I don't think that aplay can handle a .flac file directly

you are right I am using alsaplayer now
here's the output:

alsaplayer -d rp Music/208_-_Mio_Nemico.mp3
Unable to install hw params:
ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S16_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 16
FRAME_BITS: 32
CHANNELS: 2
RATE: 44100
PERIOD_TIME: (11609 11610)
PERIOD_SIZE: 512
PERIOD_BYTES: 2048
PERIODS: 16
BUFFER_TIME: (185759 185760)
BUFFER_SIZE: 8192
BUFFER_BYTES: 32768
TICK_TIME: 0

Can somebody explain me where the values above are coming from? Is ALSA
guessing? Are they coming from my sound card?
It seems to me, that I need to give the right hw  parameteers to ALSA.

here's .asoundrc, I made some little changes

pcm.rp {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "hw:1,0"