All,

This issue is now solved. he problem was that the rPac was loaded as a usb
1.0 rather than 2.0 and was crashing.

Thanks to Darrel

Here's from a forum,Ask me if you want to know the forum. hope this is not
against any rules.

Right, I've been puzzling over this problem for the past month, as I tried
to get Raspyfi to recognise my rPAC correctly. Like you, if the device was
connected at boot up, nothing would play - Raspyfi was frozen. If I
connected the device after boot it simply wasn't recognised by alsamixer
(F6 / output device etc).
I now know why. By default the rPAC is a USB audio 1 device - this is make
it a Plug & Play device in Windows - no driver required. Hence the 96/24
limitation. However the rPAC can be forced to boot as a USB audio 2 device.
Simply hold down the volume up & down buttons as you plug in the USB plug
to the RPi (in my case into a powered USB hub connected to the Pi). Then
power up the Pi. Start playing something from the playlist. At first you'll
hear nothing - just press volume up button on the rPAC and
far I've been listening to 96/24 files - will download some 192/24 & test
those this afternoon.
Hope this resolves your problems. Enjoy!

Thanks to all