Hauke Westemeier wrote:
> The differences to the values prompted in the error of
>  aplay  /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Right.wav
> seem to be the number of channels and period_size and buffer_size.
> If I just run speaker test with one channel (default)
>  speaker-test  -t wav
> I also get a similar error like aplay:
> Unable to set hw params for playback: Invalid argument
>
> So the problem seems to be the number of channels. I therefore tried
> to also set it explicitly for aplay but
> aplay --channels=2 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Right.wav
> still didn't work and gave "CHANNELS: 1" in the error.

aplay always uses the actual format of the file.

The plughw plugin (which is also used by the default device)
automatically converts to a sample format that is (claimed to be)
actually supported by the hardware.

Try running this program:
http://download.atmark-techno.com/misc/demos/usb-audio-a500-howto/hw_params.c
Does it report one channel?