Hauke Westemeier wrote:
> /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Right.wav
> how can it actually have front and right information in just one channel?

"Front Right" is the name of the channel.  There could be other channels
such as "Side Right", "Back Right"; and the channel in the front would
be called "Center".

> Device: hw:1 (type: HW)
> Access types: RW_INTERLEAVED
> Formats: S16_LE S24_LE S32_LE
> Channels: 2
> Sample rates: 8000 11025 16000 22050 32000 44100 48000 64000 88200 96000
> 176400 192000
> Interrupt interval: 20-8192000 us
> Buffer time: 41-16384000 us
>
> The Device: hw:1 only reports "Channels: 2" (and not "Channels: 1 2").
>
> Naively I assumed that when using
>  aplay -D plughw:1,0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Right.wav
> the mono signal is split up in two identical signals that are then
> send two both channels.

In theory, that is what should happen.

How exactly did you compile alsa-lib?  If you're using a distribution,
where can I find the scripts used to compile alsa-lib?

Regards,
Clemens