Hauke Westemeier wrote:
>> "Front Right" is the name of the channel.  There could be other
>> channels such as "Side Right", "Back Right"; and the channel in
>> the front would be called "Center".
>
> So although the file is called Front_Right.wav aplay should play it on
> both of my channels the same signal at the same time (as it is mono
> and plughw sends it to both of my channels), correct?

Yes.

> Just for completeness, I tried
>   aplay -D plughw:0,0  /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
> and then I can hear the sound out of the internal sound card (as
> expected). So the aplay and the wav-file are not completely broken.

The internal sound device actually supports mono.

I don't know why the mono->stereo expansion does not work.  This should
be handled automatically by the plug plugin.  It would be possible to
explicitly disable this when compiling alsa-lib, but Debian does not do
this.

Please try putting this into your ~/.asoundrc:

  pcm.stereoonly {
      type hw
      card 0
      channels 2
  }

and then running "aplay -v -D plug:stereoonly /.../Front_Center.wav".
Does it work?  Does it expand the file to two channels?

Regards,
Clemens