----- Original Message -----
From: "Youness Alaoui" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> yes, I agree, but what is simpler for the users :
> do 'apt-get install tcl8.4-dev tk8.4-dev'
> or
> go to this link http://debian.org/.... and read about it to download
> tcl/tk dev packages

Yes, I used apt as an example because
a) I'm good with Ubuntu :P
b) on another distro that would have been quite the same, excepted gentoo, I
think; but if you can run Gentoo, then you can figure it out yourself ;)

> I think we should keep it modular as I said, yes, make it universal, but
> that's why article based is so great, you give generic instructions, with
> the 'install tcl/tk dev packages' being a link to another article that
> would explain how to do it per platform,

That's not a bad idea, but I wouldn't want that modularization became
fragmentation.
If you can keep the most you can in the same article user would be less
puzzled. Moreover he can see *how many* commands are needed to do what he
wants

> or itself be a dispatch article
> that would dispatch you to the appropriate article for you distro...
> http://amsn.sourceforge.net/userwiki/index.php/Enabling_antialiasing <--
> many things to improve ?
> commands are with --enable-64bit ?

I'm not on 64 bits, but that works ok, btw
I took the commands from the guide I linked at the top of the page,
compiling that way I never had problems...

> many typos...

huh :P

> the '(yes, I copy&pasted here :p)'  in Downloading Tk, might confuse some
> people into thinking they have to copy paste with 'nameofpackage.tar.gz'
> or something.. try to make it look professional, not 'familial'...

huh. I like putting stupid comments :D

> for the prerequesites, you say you need to install the dev packages for
> tcl/tk 8.4, but it's not true, if the user follows the link, he'll install
> dev packages OF tcl/tk 8.4, while he only needs the dependencies...

Actually the Dev_Packages (typo: capital P, fixed) link tells him how to
install *build dependencies* for tcl/tk8.4
but you're right I was not clear, there

> the best way to do it is to use 'apt-cache show tk8.4' and see what ARE
> those dependencies..

in Dev_Packages he's told to use build-dep, which will install all the build
dependencies without any effort :)

> you'll see it's only libc, and xlibs (or libx11), so
> you could be pretty sure, there is no dependency, so this whole thing
> could be removed, leave only the xft thing, and as we just said above,
> make it 'Prerequisites' and 'you need to install xlibs and xft-dev' which
> would link to a how to install xft-dev...

is xft-dev required? I'm not sure...

> you talk about 'launching amsn with its usual name, amsn, will give you a
> segfault'... first, you don't need to say that... it makes our reputation
> bad...

Well, that's what happens :D
I didn't explain *why* this happens, which is quite normal; that could be
completed explaining it's not a bad behaviour, just a consequence of binding
amsn to tcl8.5 (I'm right here, aren't I?)
I don't think it gives you a bad reputation; it just makes things clear.
Moreover, when a user says "oh, I have a segfault" maybe he'll remember of
the guide and will see he's forgot something...
Anyway, if you really dislike it, just remove it ;)

> secondly, I may have found a way to avoid this segfault.. I'm still
> testing it..

Well, once you have, we can safely remove the whole segfault thing...

bye :)