Enkin's (http://www.enkin.net/) "landscape mode" does this. I'm not
sure what method is used or anything but its possible.

But check out the PolyToPoly API Graphics demo which shows how to
transform a canvas to make it look 3D without opengl. I havnt really
looked over MapView to see if this method is possible, but if it can
be applied to MapView, i think it would do the trick.