Really what I'm concerned about is having to build with a future
version of the UI and having my 2.1 users excluded.
Since Eclipse validates the XML, I've had a few problems adding
elements for for 2.2 in a 2.1 build.

I still want the 2.2 elements for those using it, but it needs to fail
gracefully so that users still on 2.1 just ignore the tags.

At the moment, the XML schema's won't allow you to do that. If the new
manifest elements don't fall back (if the schema's are not updated to
allow the new elements) its going to make developing in anything but
the most recent SDK impossible.

Unfortunately we can't assume that all users will (or are able) to
update to whatever is latest.