On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca> wrote:

> Really what I'm concerned about is having to build with a future version of
> the UI and having my 2.1 users excluded.
> Since Eclipse validates the XML, I've had a few problems adding elements
> for for 2.2 in a 2.1 build.

You should build against the version of the SDK with the features you are
using; if you want to run on older versions of the platform put
android:minSdkVersion="<vers>" in your manifest and of course test that you
actually work on that version.

> I still want the 2.2 elements for those using it, but it needs to fail
> gracefully so that users still on 2.1 just ignore the tags.

Can you point to a specific problem?  I don't know of any situation where an
older version of the platform choked on tags (or attributes) from a newer
one.

> At the moment, the XML schema's won't allow you to do that. If the new
> manifest elements don't fall back (if the schema's are not updated to allow
> the new elements) its going to make developing in anything but the most
> recent SDK impossible.

Sorry, I don't really follow what you are saying here.  Lots and lots of
apps build against newer versions of the platform to use the features there,
but support running on older versions.  This is pretty easy to do.
 *Especially* for things like XML attributes and tags in the manifest, since
older versions won't even be aware of them.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.