Alan...
Just give your people a signed apk to install from a local server.

Don't worry too much... even if not installed from Google play it can use
and access google services and as long as binary and sign is same as once
uploaded to Google play... it works okay and you will even get an option to
upgrade when you put a new version.

Alternatively you can have some license check and force user to re download
from Google play once google play is accessible or better still make people
in cave get a version one version behind google play version but same apk
as was earlier put on Google play -- then google will give them option to
upgrade apk from Google play... and so you will see download count
increase. ..

Hope that helps....
Regards,
Nalin