Romain,

You seem to underestimate the power of games.
I can buy a phone for $20 or even less, which makes calls.
I can buy a phone for $50 which has internet browsing, e-mail, sms,
mms, blah, blah, blah.
I can buy a phone for $100 which has GPS, and what not.
People don't buy phones to make calls only, they buy it for various
reasons, one of which is lifestyle - read iPhone, other -
entertainment - read games, etc.

I'll give you an example of how bad it might turn out to be the lack
of quality games on the Android because of the following:
- lack of memory, or ability to run off the SD card (I know you're
working on an encrypted partition on the SD card, and are addressing
this)
- lack of running in "exclusive" mode leading to stuttering

I have this comment on my game (disclaimer: my game is FAR, FAR, FAR,
FAR from the best games, despite what the user is saying, I'd
personally rate it 5/10):

A 5 * rating, with comment:

"Sadly the best game overall on the G1 which isnt saying anything
about the dev he deserves praise but I wish the SDK was better and
devs had more."

I can bet my ass (and I'm not gay either ;) that there are MORE
comments like this one on other games.
I'm *sure* Android *will* fail, as a mobile OS on smartphones, if it
doesn't have great games.

Cheers

P.S. I can make my game a lot more better, if I had more space. I
don't want any comments like "download from the internet to SD card".
Like I said, my game is simply, it's far from the best games, it's an
arkanoid-like breakout game.
However, I can imagine how much space would a great 3D game need, and
that it would require lots of processing, and not only on the GPU.