On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:36 AM, admin.androidsl...@googlemail.com <
admin.androidsl...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Why is it a problem? Because there is not a single game in Android
> Market that features smooth scrolling backgrounds. Games may not be
> the only app needed, but they certainly need to be visually impressive
> for the platform to survive.

I question both these points. For example "Alien Blood Bath" seems to do ok
as a platform
game with regards to smooth-scrolling (and even rescaling), and it's a Java
app that uses OpenGL.
(not to say it's visually impressive since the graphics and controls are
still a bit rough, but hey, it's
an open-source game).

Also, Android is not a game console per se, and "survival of the platform"
will depend much more on the
usefulness of the applications that run on it, the availability of devices,
and other user-oriented things.
That doesn't mean that visually impressive is not nice to have, but I doubt
it's as important as you think.

Consider the graphics capabilities of the Wii compared to the Xbox and PS3,
and you'll see that they
have little to do with the respective platforms' success.

Apart from that, we should try to find solutions to provide a better
experience for both the gaming user
and the game developers, but without sacrificing useful features.