> So what I am saying is there is some magic in the GridView / ListView
> code which allows for smooth scrolling which games on Android platform
> desperately need. Despite going through the source code extensively I
> cannot discover what is needed to apply this to a game engine.

GridView and ListView don't use any magic. They just do whatever they
can to make things fast:
- When you touch the screen, all the children are turned into bitmaps
- When a child is turned into a bitmap, it's an opaque bitmap whenever
possible (ListView reuse the background color of the window)
- When you move your finger around, the bitmaps are simply moved
- When a new child appears, it's turned into a bitmap, etc.

ListView actually does quite a lot of things when you scroll it.

--
Romain Guy
Android framework engineer

to provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on