Thanks for the response.

Side scrolling is a very commonly used game engine and I believe that
the platform needs better examples of this. Obviously other graphic
engines are needed too, e.g. OpenGL - but I think getting good
performance out of 2d graphics will be a very good start for many
games.

Compare the smooth scrolling in GridViews with say the scrolling in a
paid game like deBlob (very jerky - see for yourselves) to see what I
mean.

You mention games should not be using views at all. I have tried
views, surface views and the like - nothing seems to provide smooth
scrolling. I am even thinking of putting my game engine in a
ListView / GridView just because I know the scrolling is smoother (!),
but this seems fairly ridiculous, there must be a better way to do it.

Please could you provide a better example - all I need is a way to
very smoothly scroll an oversized bitmap either horizontally or
vertically.

Your help on this would certainly be very valuable to me and all game
developers for the platform.