The TCP port is entered correctly as 2121 when I connect to FTP, the
FTP cpntrol session is started properly according to the server logs.

I am not using SFTP since I have disabled the sub-system on my SSH
server.

I am trying to use SSH TCP forwarding alone to establish and maintain
the ftp session sice most FTP clients won't support 1024 bit RSA key
authentication.

I am considering FTPS, but I'm not sure I want to open up another port
to the internet.  The SSH service is the only one I currently allow
through the firewall.

Can you tell me more about the Java error message I'm getting? or
maybe if there are any android native FTP apps I can use?

Thanks!
--James