It sounds like you've narrowed it down a fair bit -- and that your
problem isn't really FTP, if your observations actually match reality.
(Always a concern...so much time wasted...shudder...)

Are we talking about a TCP/IP timeout exception? That won't be
affected by delays in crypto, etc. That would indicate a loss of TCP/
IP connectivity. If your data connection is in state ESTABLISHED, then
it's not a connection timeout. If it's not an application-level
timeout (which I don't recall FTP having, but it's been a while), then
it would mean that nothing is getting through -- perhaps a NAT or
firewall issue? I've seen NAT/Firewall issues block data connections
even for passive FTP, though I don't know just how.

I really hesitate to suggest it, but maybe you want to use a tool like
tcpdump? It should at least help narrow down the problem.