Hi,

People cheat, it's in our human nature, it's even an economic rule :
Individuals try to get the most with their limited resources. So if
they can have something for free, they will.

The problem is not really to fight this, because we'll never win (RIAA
anyone : ), it's to find a way to leverage it and to find an
equilibrium.

I'm french and here some of our stand-up comedians are upset with
youtube and the likes because youtube makes money on they're work and
they don't see a single penny of it.
The thing is, it's not true at all : I bought two tickets to one of
those stand-up comedy show after I've spent a couple of hours looking
at various bits on youtube. I had stumble on it and didn't even know
the comedian in the first place.
My point is, I'll never buy something I don't know exists.

I'm not saying to do nothing about it, i'm saying don't loose your
sleep over it and certainly don't spend half your production time and
budget on securing your app.
Hackers, the real ones, the ones that cracks your security codes and
then gives away your cracked app, hack because it's easy for them and
fast and sometimes represent a small challenge.
They are not 15 years old, they are computer engineers with degrees
and too much time on their hand.
Music and DVD industry has put several BILLIONS of dollars in DRMs and
you can still enjoy any movie in divx can't you ? And YOU don't have a
few billions dollars, do you (if you do, maybe we can meet : ) ?

So put mild protection in place so that the average user has the
incentive to buy.
Use guilt techniques (help our developpers, you enjoyed our game help
us do more, ...)
Release a free version with ads,
Release your own "pirated" version with a scary time bomb (after 10
usages : "You are using a pirated version of this app, next launch
will erase all your data from your phone." Don't ever actually put the
threat to execution !)
And if you don't want to go free with ads  on the market, just make it
your pirated version :D

Good luck with your work and your apps.

Yahel