It is not "this mobile". It is standard T-mobile USA billing, and they do it
on all of the phones that they sell with AIM/MSN support.

The UK and dev models don't have it any more than it has any of the other
T-mobile USA specific applications.

(The bad news is that the "open source" IM framework comes with no examples
and does not build without the closed-source gtalk modules, so you're better
off with meebo or another third-party implementation.)

Feel free to stay indignant though, its cute.