After doing gzip --list on the generated .gz file, it contains a .tar file.
So that works.  But still, why does WinZip think that a .gz file generated
on Linux contain a .tar[1] rather than a .tar file?

I guess that it's more of a WinZip question.  But I wanted to see whether
anyone else has experienced this type of behavior and if so maybe found a
work around.

Thanks for your help Magesh.

--Maciej

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>