On Fri Oct  9 13:08:44 EDT 2009, pitt+aoetools-disc...@segfault.info wrote:
> Whats the difference between the aoe6 tar.gz and the aoe kernel module in
> the mainline kernel?
> Which one should I use?

The driver at CORAID's website has features that we intend to push into the
kernel.org driver.  Which you use will depend on whether you need these features
right now.  It might be more convenient to use the aoe driver in your Linux
distribution.

The changelog is the definitive reference for the answer to your question.

  http://support.coraid.com/support/linux/aoe6-Changelog

... but some highlights include,

  * driver handles I/O requests instead of bios, so that the
    I/O schedulers can be used,

  * system device numbers are allocated dynamically, so that
    the website driver can support a greater number of AoE
    targets and a wider range of LUN numbers per shelf address,

  * AoE responses can return from a MAC address other than the
    one the command was sent to.  The CORAID VS relies on this
    feature.

  * Packets with a data payload over a page size can be used in
    the CORAID website driver.  When the network can support
    jumbo frames over 4200 octets, this feature can increase
    performance.

--
  Ed