On Thu Oct 15 12:56:00 EDT 2009, ma...@digitalwest.net wrote:
> At what layer(s) does page cache come into play?  I know the gist of
> how it functions but not the dirty details.  I thought it only came
> into play when using a filesystem?
> For example, if the controllers shared a block device using vbladed,
> running with direct io wouldn't ensure consistency on both controllers?

Even when you're not using a filesystem you have caching going on,
unless you request otherwise.  You can see the difference with a "dd"
that has the option for doing O_DIRECT.  With that option, you're
bypassing the page cache.  Without it, you will notice that there's
lots of writing at first but then it slows down to a crawl when the
system finally decides to flush out the data from all the pages in RAM
that have been dirtied.

I guess mkfs is a more obvious one, since it has a progress meter, but
you can get progress from dd via SIGUSR1---see the manpage for
details.

--
  Ed