On Thu Oct 15 10:56:55 EDT 2009, ecas...@coraid.com wrote:
> However, most of the problems I can think of with using md on two
> initiators at the same time over a common set of AoE targets have to
> do with failing individual components, or with the consistency of the
> state of the RAID itself, and these issues go away with a RAID 0,
> since it's not redundant and immediately fails when one component
> fails.

What am I saying?  The main problem is the page cache.  The I/O for
the components of the RAID 0 will go through the page cache on each of
the two AoE initiators, and without some way for the two hosts to make
sure that the page cache contents match (e.g., "I just changed the
data here---update your cache!") the scenario won't work.

Because not all the data is on the md components but can also be in
RAM on the host doing md RAID, you will have data corruption if you
introduce a third location for data to be: the RAM of the second AoE
initiator doing md.

--
  Ed Cashin <ecas...@coraid.com>
  http://www.coraid.com/