SUGGESTIONS FOR A FUTURE AOLSERVER

The "state of the art" is, I think, happening in the javascript world, with
things such as node.js. If the aolserver community were really interested in
getting new users, making it a top notch embedded-javascript web server would
be a way.  I'm not sure this makes any strategic sense (nor that I need it),
but there you go...

The other area where "state of the art" thinking is occurring, is in scaling
web sites to many, many machines.

aolserver has some features to make that happen, but imagine if we had
multi-machine ns_cache support, perhaps with a file system backup (ie,
memcached)?

Ousterhout recently wrote a paper about RAMCloud, which would be very helpful
on aolserver:
http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2011/7/109885-the-case-for-ramcloud/fulltext

Also, support for sending an http page request to another machine (or pool of
machines) would very handy, with a single http daemon handling them all with
async io.

I personally have found that scaling from one to many machines is quite
difficult to do, and have been reading a lot of blog entries lately about
people having trouble with nosql architectures (ie mongodb).

-john