Make sure your private key is not passphrase-protected; if it is, it'll
fail to be loaded by the server. You can use openssl to take the passphrase
off, but make sure you lock up this file so that only the server can read
it (root will also be able to read it, obviously):

openssl rsa -in key1.pem -out key2.pem

The latest version is nsopenssl-1.1 and is available at http://scottg.net.

You'll want to use this version, and it requires OpenSSL 0.9.6 or higher
(though I haven't tested with 0.9.6a yet).

/s.