The keyfile was decrypted before I created the CSR.  The server dies
trying to load the signed (by me) certificate, even though:

openssl x509 -noout -text -in certfile.pem

Reguritates out the cert information O.K.  I guess I failed to mention
I'm using nsopenssl 1.1

I must have an older version of OpenSSL, since the OPENSSL_free stub
isn't there.  I'll try and upgrade OpenSSL and try again.