>If someone says "show me a traffic summary for the last 2 years, by
>week, ordered by blah", it may not be trivial to generate that kind of
>report.  So it does hurt to keep on doing it when no one is listening.
>
>Jim

But is there an efficient way to determine the connection has been
broken?  From what I've seen in the code, AOLserver detects broken
connections the *next* time it tries a write or read of a connection.  When
someone clicks on a bring-your-server-to-the-knees-query, after AOLserver
hands it to your code, nothing else is done on that connection until your
code tries to return a page.  At that point, the write will get a
connection broken error.

Is it possible for a TCP based connection to know when a socket is broken
*as it happens*?  If possible is that an efficient manner to run webserver
based communications?

Jerry

Jerry Asher                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
1678 Shattuck Avenue Suite 161   Tel: (510) 549-2980
Berkeley, CA 94709               Fax: (877) 311-8688