Internet explorer does not, from my examination of the available
literature, support server push, at least not in any way I could get it to
work.

However, I did notice that a meta refresh tag in the middle of a document
is still (at least under some circumstances) honored, so what we did was:

print out a "please wait" type page, with enough text that it gets written
out right away.  This was done with ns_write in an adp.

start the long process

when the process is done, send a
(around 100 spaces)

The refresh goes to the "correct" ending page.

The point of this is, the page with the submit button is pretty much
immediately replaced with the please wait page.  If you don't do this, the
page with the submit button hangs around until the long process is done,
inviting the user to resubmit or cancel the job.  The please wait page
lets them know Something is Working.

Having a "cancel" button on this page might be nice.

Rusty

Rusty Brooks : http://www.rustybrooks.org/
    Spewing wisdom from every orifice